Sefrou

   
   
     
 

Tomb of Abba Elbaz,
Chief Rabbi of Sefrou.

 
   
 
   
   
 
     
  Sefrou, south of Fez, was known as Little Jerusalem due to its high percentage of Jews and its well-developed religious life. Upon Morocco's independence, a rabbi from Sefrou was elected to Parliament. Sefrou's mellah makes up half of the old city. Jews made up almost half the population. While there were no more than 5,000 Jews in Sefrou in 1948, they lived only in the mellah. The population density of the Jewish community at that time was 415,815 per square kilometer, the highest in the country. To cope with the high population density, most buildings have three stories, with balconies facing the street. Just outside the mellah is a large but now vacant home and school for Jewish orphans that was administered by the Moroccan organization, Em Habonim, and funded by the London Jewish Community. A simple synagogue is contained in the complex.
   
Sefrou's main Jewish cemetery is being restored using funds from those who have emigrated. Historic headstones have been mounted within cement monuments. Several monuments commemorate a large number of merchants who died in a truck accident on the road south to the Tafilalet region. Others honor the 21 victims of the flood of 1950. Sefrou has several saints, including Moshe Elbaz, the Masters of the Cave, Eliahou Harraoch, and David Arazil.
 
   
 
   
   
     
 

Panel at entrance to Em-Habanim orphanage describing the Association's efforts to provide food clothing and shelter to Jewish orphans and poor children.

 
   
 
   
   
 
     
 

    Home Page                                                                                              The East